Abandoned Rails


< Main Page

Rocky Mount, North Carolina

ACL Emerson Shops - Passenger Car Facility

 

 

The Emerson Shops at South Rocky Mount included a major passenger car maintenance and repair facility.  In addition to the usual host of running repairs, the Emerson Shops also performed many upgrades and refurbishments over the years with one of its specialties being interior refurbishments.   At the height of it's success, the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad employed over 2,000 people in Rocky Mount.  The shops were named after Mr. Thomas Emerson, who served as president of the ACL from 1906 until his death in 1913.  These photographs were taken between 1985 and 1986 by Mr. Brian Ezzelle.  All of the structures seen in the photos below is gone. 

All photographs are Copyright Brian Ezzelle. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright 2002- | Jeff Hawkins

All copyrights are the property of their respective owners.